Sunday, March 16, 2008

Happy Birthday, Tariku!

I'm thinking of our little guy more than ever today. I had so hoped I'd be in Ethiopia for his birthday. Even though it's not as celebrated an event over there, it would have been the first significant "holiday" we had spent together. What better "holiday" than one that focuses solely on the blessing of his birth.

I know it was more like a random day they gave him as birthday but it is still so significant to us. He is 3 today. 3ish years ago his amaye and abaye were looking at this little swaddled baby and imagining his future with them. They had made plans and given him a name. Tariku Asamu Abyiu. Today is like a "rebirth" (for me, by the way) in the sense that on this birthday I am thinking of all those things for him. I am thinking of his future (as well as his past) and how lucky I am to be a part.

We'll have a little celebration in Tariku's honor when he's home. But I want to send my birthday hugs to Addis today. When I prayed this morning I asked God to send them on Angels wings to the little boy I miss so intensely.

4 comments:

Matthew and Amanda said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet little guy! Praying the candles can be blow out soon!

Amanda

Cassie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO TARIKU!!!!

Chatter said...

Happy Birthday Tariku!! Thinking of you little guy and can't wait to give you BIG hugs from your momma!

KelseyChristine said...

What a beautiful post!
It reminds me of the song "The Distance" By Evan and Jaron...