Monday, September 29, 2008

Tariku

I've been meaning to write this post for awhile. I realized that I haven't really written about his personality much even though he reveals it more and more every day. I want to remember what he was like at this age as I'm sure it will continue to change and blossom as he gets older.

I know there are a few people out there right now, adoptive moms, wondering if the "babysitting" phase of adoption ever ends. Will it ever feel less like babysitting and more like love? The answer is yes! Though I still definitely have times when I'm checking the door to see who let this kid in, most of the times I wonder how in the world he has only been in our family for such a short time.

He is funny. He LOVES making people laugh, including himself. I will often put my rearview mirror down so I can watch him and Dailah playing in the backseat and it cracks me up how often he's just talking to himself or singing or dancing. He'll look up and notice I'm looking and hide his face and giggle.

He is the first person who gets up when I mention I need something. Today, under my breath, I said "Oh I forgot my phone upstairs". Before I even turned around from making dinner I hear, "Here, mommy," and he had it in his little hand. If I ask Trysten to let the dogs in, Tariku races to do it. If Dailah is asking for her pacifier, he's searching under couch cushions to get it. At first I thought it was an attachment thing. He wanted us to like him so that he could stay but I'm now pretty convinced that's just him. He really likes helping out in any way he can, which is quite refreshing. I have to constantly remind myself not to ask too much of him and just let him be a little boy once in awhile.

He still loves to eat but loves to eat S-L-O-W-L-Y. I can't believe it's the same kid who used to shovel an entire plate of doro wot and injera down in just a few minutes. He wants water, all day every day. His aim with bodily fluids is more accurate than anyone else living in this house (with the male chromosomes that is) which is shocking to remember where we started.

I honestly can't believe we got so lucky. We know we want to do it again but we're both very gunshy. How, in the world, could we get even close to this blessed? Not only is he hilarious, warm, caring, smart, athletic and generous but he is beeeeeeeautiful!

I love him, I really do. Even when I'm "just" babysitting. :)

No comments: