Sunday, November 02, 2008

The Tools: GAS, Part 2

So these are the tools YOU can use in your local community/blogworld to help the cause as well (if you're totally lost, see the previous post). These are the tools we are using and ones we’d be happy to have you use at your disposal. My email (tesileagh@hotmail.com) can be used if you have any questions and don’t want to put them in the comments field, feel free to email me!


1. Jody had the great foresight to buy the website: http://www.water4christmas.com. So send people there, it will automatically take you to the information/donation page.

2. If you or someone you know is leery of internet payments go ahead and have them write checks payable to CHARITY GLOBAL with "water for christmas" in the memo line and mailed to:

Charity Global, Inc.
150 Varick St. 5th floor
New York, NY 10013

If you’re using this option, please send the checks as you collect them. Every week we will be getting an update from Charity Global on how much we’ve raised so far and would love that to be as accurate as possible!

3. All online donations generate a tax-deductable receipt at time of transaction. Receipts for all other forms of payment will be mailed. So make sure you make people aware of that as well!

4. Amy has created the coolest bracelets for sale for $5. They make great stocking stuffers! If you are interested, go to Amy's etsy shop at here.

This is also a good thing to buy in bulk and have your kids sell at school! Wear them anywhere and everywhere and generate conversation. The blue beads represent the water we are “buying”. They were made from recycled glass from Ghana. And we come full circle.

5. If you'd like to add the blog button from my sidebar, click on "share" right below it. Copy and paste the HTML in your own sidebar. It’s not just easy, it’s beautiful too!

6. Quite possibly the only way we’ll build multiple wells (which is our goal) is to have you take this into your community, your church, your families, your home. One way we’re doing that is by setting up tables in front of places like Hy-Vee and Wal Mart, to start the conversation. Here is an example of the table we will be using in our area.



7. If you would like to hand out cards saying "I want Water for Christmas" or "I gave Water for Christmas", you can email me and I will send you a PDF file so you can have them printed out. We also have PDF files we can email so you can print out large posters if you choose to set up a table of your own.

8. As most of you know…I love dancing. So when Jody started delegating tasks and ran out when she got to me she asked me what I wanted to do and I said, “Dance”. Kidding at first, it got me thinking, which is never a great idea. And this came out of it.

I will be hosting "Dancing for Water" on hotflawedmama. I have recruited people to dance a short dance and will post it on my blog through youtube. Now, donations are on an honor system so give as much as you can give when viewing the videos. Just click on the “I want Water for Christmas button” and you’ll be directed where to give. They will be coming as often as I can get them (HINT, HINT, If you will dance, send me your video! Time to get uncomfortable, right?) So keep checking.

The idea is to generate more eyes to the cause. Youtube is full of people who love watching crazy videos. It’s also full of people who are not in the blogworld like you and I so we’re hoping to target that audience as well.

Oh, and if you feel like emailing Ellen DeGeneres and telling her about our deal, please do. I’ve sent one email and will send a few more to see if she’ll dance for Water for Christmas! Email her here.

9. Feel free to link or copy and paste anything from our blogs! We want to do our best to get the word out near and far. If everyone we know just gave a small amount (for instance, everyone who visited Jody’s blog donated $5), we can change the lives of many. MANY THANKS!!

It’s on you…now GAS.

No comments: