Sunday, November 02, 2008

Setting Up

I used to play volleyball. For those that don't know there is a "move" in volleyball called set/spike. Well, tomorrow is my "spike". Tomorrow we launch our new monthly mission and get you fired up. Today, I'm doing my "set". Because I was kind of "set" today by our church service. It totally prepared me for the ace I will deliver tomorrow.

Okay, enough of the redonkuless analogies.

We watched a video today, you want to see it (which you should) go here.

The basic premise is unifying the Church. The pastor says his one prayer would be "God, make us one". I liked the idea. No more competition, just uniting to actually DO what God called us to DO!

He pointed to a few spots in the Bible:
--Ephesians 4: 2-4 "Be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love. Always keep yourselves UNITED in the Holy Spirit, and bind yourselves together with PEACE."

--Acts 4: 32 "All the believers were of one heart and mind, and they felt that what they owned was not their own; they shared everything they had."

The pastor showed a video of him going around the city to ask if people thought Christians were divided or united. Most said divided. One guy in particular said this, "Christianity today makes people TURN AWAY from organized religion."

Even though it made me horribly sad to hear, I was completely with him on that. Shoot, I'm a Christian and there are some I run into that make me want to turn and run the other way.

So I'm ending this post with a few questions I've been percolating on...

1) How will people in the world know we love Jesus? By our hate or our love?

2) What would happen if we stopped hoarding and started giving?

3) What would happen if the people of the world stopped HEARING about Jesus and started SEEING His plan play out?

4) If the Church really would unite, how quickly will the message spread once: poverty is history; everyone has access to clean water; there are no more orphans; etc, etc.

And the words to the song in worship today that brought it all home for me:

"Mighty to Save" by Hillsong

Everyone needs compassion
Love that’s never failing
Let mercy fall on me
Everyone needs forgiveness
The kindness of a Saviour
The hope of nations


Saviour
He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save
He is mighty to save
Forever
Author of salvation
He rose and conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave


So take me as You find me
All my fears and failures
Fill my life again
I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in
Now I surrender


Shine Your light and let the whole world see
We’re singing
For the glory of the risen King

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Ok Tesi, what you posted sounded all too familiar to me. First of all, the song "Mighty to Save" is my favorite worship song - although, I prefer the version by Laura Story.
And, today at my church, our pastor's message was about how Christians are often intolerant. That we often let it be known what we DONT agree with, but we should be sharing the postive - what we DO stand for. I also think that if the world saw us ACTING like Jesus instead of just talking about him, we could make a difference. We could show God's love and compassion to so many.
Thanks for this post. Good stuff.