Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Ethiopian Cuisine!

Today the kids and I headed over to Leslie's to try our hand at cooking Ethiopian food again. I've been bad mommy and haven't even tried since Tariku's been home (we have eaten at ET restaurants, but nothing homemade). Since Leslie is kind of my food guru, I knew she'd be an easy target to help me and that she was. She is just great, there is not much more I can say but that.

There were many times I got close to tears during the morning. Nostalgia has that effect on me. The smells in her kitchen made me miss Ethiopia more intensely than I have since we returned. Looking around her house and seeing Tariku run around with just a slight trace of an accent, losing the few bits and pieces of his "Ethiopianness"...it's enough to make a girl emotional.

And then realizing all of my blessings, specifically that of a sister-in-law who has quickly morphed into a best friend. One who had free trade Ethiopian organic coffee on hand as we stewed and mashed and tore through her kitchen. Truly, I am one lucky girl.

Oh, and did I mention that we're kind of amazing? Our second shot was much better than our first though I didn't get any great pictures of it, you'll have to take my word for it. I was also pleasantly surprised to see how naturally Tariku took to the food again. It was old hat and he gave compliments to the chefs, which Leslie and I took to be the best indicator for how great we really are. Ahem.

This was just too cute not to include, thank you for indulging me.




My Ethiopian and his food. I'd kinda do anything for this one.



He wanted to be like Simon of "Alvin and the Chipmunks" fame. Ummm. not so much.



Leslie mashing and stirring.



The kids entertaining themselves.

1 comment:

LCMomX4 said...

All my great-niece and great-nephews are so darn cute as well as my nieces and nephews. It looks live everyone had a fun time.