Saturday, April 12, 2008

Laughter Is a Universal Language

I've been up since 4am. Though when you go to bed at 8:30 that doesn't sound so bad. I slept like I haven't slept for days (literally) it was amazing. Both boys slept in our room in sleeping bags and did very well. I feel really good about it all.

The meeting was great. Tariku gave lots of samis (kisses) and Trysten and Dailah were genuinely happy to see us and meet their brother. After a greeting from our amazing family and friends the kids commenced to being brothers and sisters and cousins. It was sooo great seeing the kids and the rest of the family, I had missed them all so very much. I only cried a bit so was very proud of myself. Once I get the video, I'll put the video on the blog so you all can see.

So I got 1 1/2 hours before Zach and Tariku joined me, with Trysten following soon after. The boys have been jumping, playing and primarily laughing the entire morning (and last night for that matter). I can't say enough how amazing Trysten is. He has welcomed Tariku in the family as if he's been here the entire time. I asked him what he did last week that was really fun, he said, "Nothing compared to seeing you guys and getting Tariku." I mean, really. He has taken a liking to try to copy whatever Tariku says in Amharic which is very funny. Dailah has loved giving him kisses and was hesitant to go down last night as it was quite obvious she thought Zach and I would not be here when she woke up. I'll be happy to prove her wrong.

Been kind of sad watching Tariku just look at all of us speaking in English. He is obviously confused as to what we are saying and also why Zach and I would be talking like that as we've done a decent job at speaking primarily in Amharic to him. We plan on ichating with a few of Tariku's friends that were also picked up last week so that he can talk about the crazy stuff we're making him do...things like sharing and eating non-spicy foods.

Better be off to play with the kiddos. I realized I woke up at 4am because it's lunch time in Addis. I got so sad thinking I wasn't going to be heading down to the kitchen to enjoy a freshly made breakfast. I went down to our freshly stocked kitchen (thanks mom, Jody and Leslie) and was tempted to eat the Doro Wot and Injera but decided instead for powdered donuts. It was not nearly as enjoyable.

Sounds like Tariku is getting frustrated, better go throw the kid a bone. :)


Anonymous said...

So excited to read all the updates. Was thinking about your family so much this whole week, especially yesterday. What a blessing. I know there will be lots of adjustments, and unknowns, but you guys are an amazing family and you are all so blessed! Enjoy each day as much as you can!

Papa Frank said...


I was so excited seeing my new grandson. He is very handsome and has such a beautiful smile. The pictures with his brother and sister and the picture of the family walking in the airport are precious. Seeing the three kids sitting together in car seats in your car was wonderful. Then getting a high from from each of them was great. Your bog entry yesterday was so insightful and well written. Thanks for giving me a glimpse of what you experienced. I am anxiously awaiting to hear and learn more.

Love, Papa Frank

Anonymous said...

Welcome home. I'm so looking forward to seeing you all, and of course, meeting Tariku. You have been so heavy on my heart and mind all week. Your blogs have been a blessing to all of us. Hugs to you Tesi! Rene

jody said...

so the food in your freezer was a group effort. i'm not that nice.
welcome home.

amy smith said...


Cindy said...

Looming forward to pictures!

Cindy said...

Yes...not looming....that is sort of creepy...looking forward to pictures :)