Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Tomas's Surprise

I mentioned here that Tariku and Trysten surprised Tomas for his birthday eve. Oh it was so sweet. So, so sweet.

So while I was cooking Trysten came up to me, "Mom, could you keep Tomas out of his and Tariku's room? We are making a surprise for him."

They closed the door, only coming out once in awhile to get more supplies. When Trysten told me Tomas could come in, I wanted to come in first.

And the boys were so proud of themselves. They didn't explain it first but my initial reaction was still "this is really cool". And did I mention they were so proud of themselves?


They called Tomas down and randomly broke out in "Happy Birthday".



He was so happy. But then he started crying. Tears through his smile.


"This is the sweetest thing ever to me." Hearing him say that made me cry as well.

After tears were wiped up the boys explained it. Tomas, see, loves African safaris. So there were monkeys and snakes everywhere.


Tariku's bed was actually the Mississippi River (because, obviously, that's in the Safari as well).


Tomas's bed was the arctic (again, because the arctic and safari clearly go hand in hand). Notice the penguin pillow pet.


The capes were "as close as we could get to streamers. Plus, they show Tomas how strong he is. Like a superhero." Trysten explained.


When dinner was served Tomas said. "Mom, this will be my first birthday I celebrate. I didn't know how old I was until you told me. I like how you celebrate birthdays here."

So much tragedy, so much heartache, so much hope in those few sentences.

He's 7.

6 years without a party. 6 years without anyone really celebrating his birth or him in general. This is not to say his birth family didn't celebrate somehow, I have no idea if they did or not. But according to Tomas, it was nothing like this.

Nothing like his 2 brothers who spent 30 minutes decorating his room. Making him know they were happy he was there. They celebrated him in a way he had never known before.

That, to me, is some amazing love. I am constantly inspired by the way my kids love each other.

16 comments:

Jess said...

Those are some amazing boys Tesi! Really something.

Bridget said...

What an amazing gift. Perfection. So sweet.

LCMomX4 said...

What sweet boys they are. I can't wait to meet Tomas and Bini in person. Any plans for a trip south?

ChiTown Girl said...

Oh my word! This is the sweetest thing EVER!!

Beth said...

That is truly so touching. Amazing boys you are raising. And oh precious Tomas. What a gift.

Cami said...

Amazing kids you have. Just the sweetest. This is so so touching to me....

Cindy said...

Your children are magic.

Becky Nakashima Brooke said...

So sweet! Can I hire them for my birthday?

GeonHui's Bakery said...

How sweet, totally makes me tear up.

Heather said...

oh my stars. I hadn't cried yet today until I read this. Love those boys. Such beautiful hearts.

Chasing Roots said...

What a wonderful post -thank you for sharing, Tesi!

Kari said...

Yep, brought me to tears again. Sooo sweet!

Janet Hill said...

Seriously cool and sweet!

fiddlehead said...

My word....this amazes me. you have such "BIG love" going on in your home and family. Such love. The photos capture the purity of this moment perfectly...and his words. Well, I just don't have any more words for it. It is simply amazing.

Captain Murdock {Godwilladd.com} said...

LOVED LOVED reading this. I even made my husband read it (who never ever reads blogs - I'm not even sure he reads mine) because Tomas still holds such a special place in his heart. Man did we pray for that boy when we left ET! Love how we get to stalk ... ummm, er, I mean follow you guys.

Chatter said...

Ahhh...sibling love! Is there anything sweeter? I love your family Tesi! You & hubs are doing a fabulous job raising some sweet kiddos. Happy Birthday sweet Tomas!! hugs