Sunday, February 27, 2011

Trysten's 8th Birthday

So much to say about this boy. "The Eldest". 

For birthdays we get everyone up and together then start singing, "Happy Birthday" as we get the birthday person up. I had told Trysten he could wake up a little earlier and play his DS since 1) it was his birthday and 2) he had just gotten a new game from my parents. So this is what he looked like when we met him in song.


For breakfast he chose omelets. Ham and cheese to be exact.


 Then off to school for Trysten and Tariku. Off to the doctor for Tomas, the littles and me. Tomas was diagnosed with strep throat and an ear infection, I was diagnosed with bronchitis. Not awesome.


For Trysten's birthday treat at school he asked for his daddy's "World Famous Chocolate Chip Cookies". Since I felt like crap for the last few days I had forgotten the key ingredient of said cookies and was thus forced to buy sugar cookies with lots of frosting. No one seemed to mind.



My favorite part of the birthday celebration at school was that they have the birthday person sit on a chair and the other kids all ask them questions. (I also liked that they made him a puffy paint shirt with his name on it and made him personalized happy birthday cards). Trysten's teacher is amazing.


The class asking him questions.


Some highlights:

Q: If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go?
A: Ethiopia

Q: If you could have any super power what would it be?
A: I would want to fly

Q: What's your favorite water animal?
A: Dolphin

Q: Favorite color?
A: Purple

Q: Favorite kind of dog?
A: Husky

Q: Favorite subject in school?
A: Math

Q: What do you want to do when you grow up?
A: Probably have our family band like we've been practicing. (Smile)

Papa Frank picked Trysten up from school then we met them at the Corner Grill restaurant. We opened presents first.


After he got this book though (which he's already read a few thousand times, but had lost) he read while he waited for the food to come.


Mimi Terre read to Tariku and Dailah.


Papa Frank fed Dailah some of his soup.


Trysten ordered a grilled cheese but was more excited about the ice cream sundae.



I made a valiant effort to be present, happy and vivacious for Trysten's big day but by the end of the night I was giving into fever and chills. So Trysten obliged me and laid with me. He played his game (Harry Potter) and I soaked in his goodness.


Oh this boy. Last year I had this to say. 

This year, I've noticed the pull in him. When I pick them up from school his face lights up, he even leaps a bit at me but then he looks around and pulls back. Walks somewhat nonchalantly to me and gives me a side hug. I understand it, a few minutes after that he always grabs for my hand and squeezes three times. 

One day he'll be super helpful around the house (helping with dishes, laundry, clean up, etc) the next day it's like pulling teeth to get him to lift a finger. He's straddling a few worlds and it's super hard to watch sometimes. 

But I'm so proud of the way he's handling it. That said, it's so hard to believe we're already here.

8 years. Whew. They've gone so quickly.

I'm so proud of the boy he is and the little man he's becoming. 

Love him so, so much.

3 comments:

ChiTown Girl said...

Aw, happy birthday, Trysten!!

(P.S. My favorite dogs are huskies, too, and my favorite subject was always math!)

fiddlehead said...

Great post...love those birthday questions!

Beth said...

Happy Birthday Trysten! What a cool thing to do at school for birthdays. And of course super cool LEGOs. Hope you all are feeling better!