Monday, February 14, 2011

Oh valentine's day

Never really been a big deal in my life. I've always made it a point to make sure my boyfriends/hubby recognize that I think it's not something I really "believe in". This lets me them off the hook a bit, but mostly I stress that mama likes to know you love me throughout the year.

Since having kids, the day has taken on a whole new meaning. They just get all kinds of geeked out for the outpouring of love large amounts of high fructose corn syrup.

So a few years ago we started a tradition of either a) writing each other little love notes or b) going around the table and telling each other specific things we love about each other. It's my favorite thing, because the kids are so creative.

I write them all down and put them in their scrapbook but a few good ones:

From Dailah to Tomas, "I love you because you carry me everywhere and you always say, 'oh Dailah you are so silly and so cute'."

From Tariku to Zach, "I love you because you are so, so strong and you play with us all of the time."

From Dailah to me, "I love you because you are a good person to all of us."

From Tomas to me, "I love you and dad because you make the best food I've ever had."

From Trysten to Binyam, "I love you because you have the cutest curlies in your hair and you make the funniest faces."

Needless to say, there was lots of love at the dinner table tonight. And every other night.

So valentine's day. I love it now. Not because I get really awesome gifts (I actually got nothing, which is perfect) but because I get lots of high fructose corn syrup now have 6 valentines to share it with.

And they are the most perfect valentines in the world.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

What a wonderful tradition to have! I may just steal it!

Chatter said...

Sweetness!! We did nothing here and even though I didn't tell the boys about the actual holiday the older 2 told me they 'loved me with all their heart' tonight. Best present ever!

Your kiddos are total sweethearts :)

ChiTown Girl said...

Oh my, how very sweet!!!

Captain Murdock {Godwilladd.com} said...

Very sweet tradition. I too may have to steal it!

terre said...

Reminds me of a poem:
Come, children, let us go
We travel hand in hand
Each in his brother finds his joy
In this wild stranger land.
The strong be quick to raise
The weaker when they fall
Let love and peace and patience bloom
In ready help for all.
g. tersteegen

Jess said...

I heart your family.

LCMomX4 said...

That is so wonderful. Maybe a book in the future? Tell everyone Aunt Lori loves them, even the 2 who don't know who I am yet.

fiddlehead said...

I am loving this tradition so much! Thank you for sharing....I hope to remember to try it next year!

Gosh, you have such an amazing blog. I love visiting you!

cathy said...

we do this too--about once a month. but i haven't written them down. i vow to do that now!