Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Language

Today Trysten and Tariku were playing with some figurines while I was coloring with Dailah. I hear "gunshots" during their game and just kind of watch them. All of a sudden Trysten yells,

YOU JUST SPANKED ME IN THE NUTS!

Which is hilarious for a girl like me but I felt I owed it to my future self to nip this one in the bud, so to speak. Not knowing how he would even talk about spanking (we're not a spanking family) or nuts (we typically refer to them in their real term "testicles" or "testies" sometimes a mishap happens and it's "tesi" which is slightly offensive to me but, I digress). Trysten goes on to explain that nuts were what squirrels ate, obviously. Why didn't I think of that? I offered that perhaps we just shouldn't talk about spanking things and leave the nuts to the squirrels.

After baseball practice Trysten was feeling like some catch with daddy. I tagged along for the fun of it. Both Zach and I were athletes, I even played softball for a time so the last week or so I have been interjecting with my own words of wisdom. Typically he looked at Zach with his big doe eyes all lovey and looked at me with as close to an eye roll as I allow.

When it came time to practice hitting off the tee, I just said, "Remember, keep your eye on the ball the whole time." (See, mom, I was listening too!) He turns to me and says, "I know mom, it's not how hard you swing but how well you swing." I was impressed! I ask, "Who told you that? Your dad?" "No mom, you did."

I'm so good I don't even remember how brilliant I am sometimes.

It's pretty easy loving this kid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am rolling on the floor laughing so hard my eyes are tearing up!!! Reminds me so much of bringing up my boys (or your "boy")! But I was certainly not the one to say "it's not how hard you swing but how well you swing"---- I would have just said "HIT the dang ball! Ain't life grand???
He is SO easy to love.

stillarockstar said...

LONG TIME no blog...hope you guys are well... ;)